POSTPONED – New Date – TBD
SCMA is proud to host Dr. Sukhsimranjit Singh, Managing Director of the Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution – Pepperdine University. His topic will be “Advanced Issues in Mediation: Cross-Cultural Strategies for Breaking Impasse.”
In conflict resolution, culture is an essential component that is often overlooked by even the most experienced mediators. In this workshop, Dr. Singh explores practical mediation tools for ADR professionals to better understand and leverage cultural knowledge and understanding to build trust and break the impasse between parties.
- Date: Saturday, March 28, 2020
- Time: 10am – 12 Noon
- Location: Pepperdine West Campus (Los Angeles)
- 6100 Center Drive, Los Angeles, CA 90045
- 6100 Center Drive, Los Angeles, CA 90045
- CLE: 1.0 hour of “elimination of bias”
- Registration: https://www.scmediation.org/scma-calendar/npe-events/?eid=6229
About The Presenter
Sukhsimranjit Singh leads the Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution as the managing director and specializes in mediation and cross-cultural dispute resolution. He also serves on the Pepperdine Law faculty, which he joined after serving at Willamette University College of Law and Atkinson Graduate School of Management faculty for nearly a decade.
He has mediated commercial, interfaith, intercultural, and complex public policy cases worldwide in addition to training mediators and attorneys in more than 30 states and 35 countries. He has delivered TEDx talks in the United States and in India, has published for American Bar Association, Hamline University, and Cardozo Journal for Dispute Resolution, among others.
He is co-chair for the American Bar Association Section of Dispute Resolution Practice Management Committee and is on the Association of American Law School Alternative Dispute Resolution Section’s executive committee.
In addition, Singh is an Honorary Fellow with the International Academy of Mediators, United States of America and is an Honorary Professor of Law with National Law University, Delhi and Amity Law School, Gwalior. Singh obtained his Master of Laws in Dispute Resolution from the University of Missouri with full fellowship and served as the post-graduate fellow with the Dispute Resolution Institute at Hamline University School of Law. He obtained his Ph.D. in Arbitration from National Law University, Delhi and has clerked with Chief Justice of India.
Thank you to all of the people who either joined or renewed their memberships in the month of February with SCMA!!
Thank you to all of the people who either joined or renewed their memberships in the month of January with SCMA!!
Thank you to all of the people who either joined or renewed their memberships in the month of December with SCMA!!
Thank you to all of the people who either joined or renewed their memberships in the month of October & November with SCMA!!
Thank you to all of the people who either joined or renewed their memberships in the month of September with SCMA!!
Thank you to all of the people who either joined or renewed their memberships in the month of August with SCMA!!
SCMA is seeking to fulfill the position of part-time Administrative Assistant for the organization. This is an at-will position of the organization.
Summary of Job Position
This position provides administrative support for the day-to-day operations and for all events, programs, and services offered by SCMA. He/She also reports to the President of the SCMA Board of Directors.
- Provides administrative support to the SCMA Board President. This includes, but is not limited to, coordinating the logistics for the monthly board meetings, maintaining board member and committee reports and rosters, updating the President on activities in the organization that the Administrative Assistant is involved with, and coordinating meetings as needed.
- Provides administrative support to the SCMA President-Elect and other board members as needed.
- Provides administrative and project management support for SCMA events.
- Daily checking and response to SCMA voicemails. Receive and respond to SCMA mail and email communications.
- Processes membership requests and event registration requests when members need assistance.
- Provides information and/or researches information for people who call or write into the organization about SCMA membership, benefits, services, or events.
- Establish registration page for events in the organizations current CRM system (Fundly). Note: SCMA will train the selected candidate on this system.
- Support updating of the SCMA social media pages and communications.
- Update and enhance the administrative process manual as needed.
- Other duties as determined by the SCMA Board President.
- Strong computer and technical skills.
- Expertise in the Microsoft WORD Suite, including Excel.
- Strong writing and communication skills, including the ability to draft basic communications to the SCMA Board, Members and related persons or entities.
- Ability to run reports from various data base platforms.
- Create surveys using the Survey Monkey program.
- Knowledge of on-line meeting programs such as Zoom.
- Meeting and event Coordination skills and background.
- Social Media Management.
- Project management.
- Pro-active planning.
- Excellent customer service skills and interface.
- Ability to work with a diverse group of mediators.
- General understanding of the mediation community and mediation as a practice. The ability to understand basic mediation terms and processes.
- Experience with CRMs such as Fundly, Wild Apricot, or Memberclicks.
- Familiar with websites for updating. This is not looking for a website designer but someone who is aware when parts of the website require updating.
- BA/BS degree.
- Mediation Degree and/or training in mediation.
Pay and Hours
- Pay range is $16.00 to $20.00 per hour.
- Normal work week will be 15 hours per week (3 hours per day, Monday through Friday). Hours may be expanded and include evenings or Saturdays for events. Daily start times and stop times may vary based on meetings or events.
- For the first three (3) months the selected candidate will work through Manpower Services on a contract labor basis to SCMA.
Application Timeline and Submittal Process
SCMA is an equal opportunity employer. To learn more about SCMA, visit www.scmediation.org.
Thank you to all of the people who either joined or renewed their memberships in the month of July with SCMA!!