Thank you to all of the people who either joined or renewed their memberships in the month of April with SCMA!!
The Southern California Mediation Association (SCMA), founded in 1989, is the largest professional mediation association in California. Our mission is to nurture, expand, and develop the practice, profession, and community of mediation. Our goal is to enhance the skills of mediators (at all levels) by providing opportunities for learning and networking, along with the services we offer our members.
SCMA is seeking to fulfill the position of part-time Administrative Assistant for the organization. This is an at-will position.
Summary of Job Position
Provide administrative support for day-to-day operations and for all events, programs, and services offered by SCMA. Report to the President of the SCMA Board of Directors.
- Provide administrative support to the SCMA Board President. This includes, but is not limited to, coordinating the logistics for the monthly board meetings, maintaining board member and committee reports and rosters, updating the President on activities in the organization that the Administrative Assistant is involved with, and coordinating meetings as needed.
- Provide administrative support to the SCMA President-Elect and other board members as needed.
- Provide administrative and project management support for SCMA events.
- Operate the back-end software system that is used for generating events, membership registrations, membership profiles, and other items that feed into the SCMA website.
- Serves in the ‘host’ role for SCMA webinars and meetings utilizing the Zoom platform.
- Maintain and update a process manual for the job.
- Provide information for people who call or email into the organization about SCMA membership, benefits, services, or events.
- Processes membership requests and event registration requests when members need assistance.
- Support updating of the SCMA social media pages and communications.
- Other duties as determined by the SCMA Board President.
- Strong computer and technical skills.
- Knowledge of online meeting and webinar programs such as Zoom.
- Expertise in the Microsoft Office Suite, including Excel.
- Social media management.
- Meeting and event coordination skills.
- Strong writing and communication skills, including the ability to draft basic communications to the SCMA Board, members, and related persons or entities.
- Ability to run reports from various database platforms.
- Create surveys using the Survey Monkey program.
- Project management.
- Pro-active planning.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to work with a diverse group of mediators
- Administrative experience.
- Experience with database programs used in a business environment.
- Basic website updating.
- Event planning.
- BA/BS degree.
Pay and Hours
- Pay range is $18.00 – $20.00 per hour, DOE.
- Normal work week will be 15 hours per week, 3 hours per day, Monday through Friday during daytime hours.
- Hours may be expanded and include some evenings or Saturdays for events. Daily start times and stop times may vary based on meetings or events.
- The position is remote where you would work out of your home. However, your presence is required at events that we schedule during the year. This could range from 4 – 8 events, typically on a Saturday, lasting from 2 – 8 hours for each event. Occasionally we could have a weekday evening event.
Application Timeline and Submittal Process
By Friday, May 15, 2020, please send your resume, no longer than two pages, to SCMA President Andy Shelby at email@example.com.
SCMA is an equal opportunity employer. To learn more about SCMA, visit www.scmediation.org.
Thank you to all of the people who either joined or renewed their memberships in the month of March with SCMA!!
POSTPONED – New Date – TBD
SCMA is proud to host Dr. Sukhsimranjit Singh, Managing Director of the Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution – Pepperdine University. His topic will be “Advanced Issues in Mediation: Cross-Cultural Strategies for Breaking Impasse.”
In conflict resolution, culture is an essential component that is often overlooked by even the most experienced mediators. In this workshop, Dr. Singh explores practical mediation tools for ADR professionals to better understand and leverage cultural knowledge and understanding to build trust and break the impasse between parties.
- Date: Saturday, March 28, 2020
- Time: 10am – 12 Noon
- Location: Pepperdine West Campus (Los Angeles)
- 6100 Center Drive, Los Angeles, CA 90045
- 6100 Center Drive, Los Angeles, CA 90045
- CLE: 1.0 hour of “elimination of bias”
- Registration: https://www.scmediation.org/scma-calendar/npe-events/?eid=6229
About The Presenter
Sukhsimranjit Singh leads the Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution as the managing director and specializes in mediation and cross-cultural dispute resolution. He also serves on the Pepperdine Law faculty, which he joined after serving at Willamette University College of Law and Atkinson Graduate School of Management faculty for nearly a decade.
He has mediated commercial, interfaith, intercultural, and complex public policy cases worldwide in addition to training mediators and attorneys in more than 30 states and 35 countries. He has delivered TEDx talks in the United States and in India, has published for American Bar Association, Hamline University, and Cardozo Journal for Dispute Resolution, among others.
He is co-chair for the American Bar Association Section of Dispute Resolution Practice Management Committee and is on the Association of American Law School Alternative Dispute Resolution Section’s executive committee.
In addition, Singh is an Honorary Fellow with the International Academy of Mediators, United States of America and is an Honorary Professor of Law with National Law University, Delhi and Amity Law School, Gwalior. Singh obtained his Master of Laws in Dispute Resolution from the University of Missouri with full fellowship and served as the post-graduate fellow with the Dispute Resolution Institute at Hamline University School of Law. He obtained his Ph.D. in Arbitration from National Law University, Delhi and has clerked with Chief Justice of India.
Thank you to all of the people who either joined or renewed their memberships in the month of February with SCMA!!
Thank you to all of the people who either joined or renewed their memberships in the month of January with SCMA!!
Thank you to all of the people who either joined or renewed their memberships in the month of December with SCMA!!