Southern California Mediation Association
“Mediation in the Real World: New Thinking, New Practices”
October 20-21, 2017
Friday, 10/20/17 Kick-off Dinner
Saturday, 10/21/17 Full-Day Conference
NEW LOCATION: LA HOTEL Downtown Los Angeles
Join hundreds of fellow mediators and conflict resolution professionals at one of the West Coast’s best conferences on Mediation and Conflict Resolution! The 29th Annual SCMA Conference “Mediation in the Real World: New Thinking, New Practices” As an attendee, you will receive:
- Special AMERICAN BAR ASSOCIATION Advanced Mediation Skills Institute Deal! Two great Los Angeles area mediation conferences at discounted prices! Mediators who desire to maximize their travel to Los Angeles will receive discounted pricing by attending both the ABA Mediation Institute, October 19 and 20 during the day, and the SCMA Annual Conference Friday evening October 20th and Saturday October 21st all day. Registrants for the conference receive 15% off registration for the 15th Annual Advanced Mediation & Advocacy Skills Institute at Pepperdine University in Malibu, CA on October 19-20-21. Click here for more information and use discount code ABA15 when signing up.
- Education & CLE Credits – Learn and Earn all things Mediation & Conflict Resolution! Hear from esteemed speakers and industry professionals and earn up to a total of 5hrs of CLE Credits while you’re at it.
- Go Advanced! (Experienced Mediators only). Engage in a highly interactive experience at the Advanced Track sessions brought to you by SCMA-American Institute of Mediation. Confirmed speakers include the conference plenary speaker, William Ury, as well as Ken Cloke, Lee Jay Berman, and Kim Deck, with more anticipated. Additional Registration/Fee is required. Learn More Here.
- Special Family Conflict Resolution Track – special set of workshops specifically designed for Family Mediation. Learn More Here.
- Mediation Opportunities Fair – Meet & Greet many of the organizations funded by DRPA after lunch on Saturday, held in separate ballroom.
- Professional Networking – Bring plenty of business cards! Socialize with and meet hundreds of like-minded mediators and conflict resolution professionals. (Friday Night Dinner, Breakfast 8-9 & Lunch)
- Full Lunch Saturday – A sit-down lunch to keep the calories coming! Light breakfast Saturday morning also included.
- Wine, Dine & Kick-off in Style – at the Friday night kick-off reception & awards program. Dinner & Drinks included. Learn more here.
Awards & Presentations
Cloke-Millen Peacemaker of the Year Award Recipient – William Ury
He is co-author with Roger Fisher and Bruce Patton of Getting to Yes, a fourteen-million- copy bestseller translated into over thirty-five languages, and the author of Getting Past No, The Power of a Positive No, The Third Side and, most recently, the award-winning Getting to Yes with Yourself.
Over the last 35 years, Dr. Ury has served as a negotiation adviser and mediator in conflicts ranging from labor strikes and boardroom battles to civil wars in the Middle East, Latin America, and the former Soviet Union. During the Cold War, Ury served as a consultant to the Crisis Management Center at the White House, helping to create nuclear risk reduction centers. He has taught negotiation and mediation to tens of thousands of corporate executives, labor leaders, diplomats, and military officers around the world.
L. Randolph Lowry Award – Mary Culbert
The SCMA presents the L. Randolph Lowry Award to a member of the dispute resolution community who has honored and inspired us through their passion and dedication to education in the field of dispute resolution.
The award is presented at the Friday Evening Kick-off Dinner & Reception. We are proud to announce that the recipient of the 2017 L. Randolph Lowry Award is Mary Culbert.
A. Marco Turk to Receive Foundation’s 2017 Directors’ Award
It gives me enormous pleasure to announce that A. Marco Turk, teacher and international peacebuilder, has been named recipient of the Foundation’s 2017 Directors’ Award for Exemplary Contributions to Mediator Education.
Prof. Turk is Emeritus Professor and Director of the Negotiation, Conflict Resolution and Peacebuilding Program at CA State University Dominguez Hills, as well as adjunct professor of law at the Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution, Pepperdine University School of Law. He has worked with thousands of students over the years and been a friend and mentor to them all.
We have an amazing lineup this year.
Beat the ticket price increases by registering early.
The success of our Conference is a direct result of not only the attendees, but also the sponsors. In return for a financial commitment, the sponsors receive various benefits.