Dear SCMA Colleagues:
Continuing in the tradition of Immediate SCMA Past President Dr. Jack R. Goetz and other past presidents, I am excited to issue the SCMA President’s Monthly Message. The purpose of the President’s Message is to provide SMCA members with updates and highlights of SCMA’s programs and activities.
Our year is off to a roaring start, grounded by our three-year Strategic Plan, facilitated and written by Jack Goetz during his year as SCMA President. Among other things, the Strategic Plan positions SCMA to continue fulfilling its mission of promoting mediation, excellence in the practice of mediation, and community awareness of the mediation process through education, dialogue, and outreach. Core to our Strategic Plan is a commitment to ensuring that we continue to meet and service the needs of our members.
To this end, we soon will be sending out our 2019 SCMA Membership Survey, led by Andy Shelby, SCMA President-Elect, and Susan Guthrie, SCMA Board Member and Chair of the Communications Committee. Please be on the lookout for the survey in your email box by the end of this month and set aside a few minutes to provide us with your feedback. This will assist us in designing programs and other activities that align with our members’ goals and interests.
Looking ahead, we are very excited about the events we have planned for this year. Please schedule them now so you have time to get involved. Here’s what is coming up:
- Monthly Professional Development Groups (PDGs) – Our new Downtown Los Angeles, Orange County, and San Diego PDGs are off to a great start! Be on the lookout for new PDG’s forming soon in Camarillo and the Inland Empire. Also consider visiting our longstanding San Fernando Valley, South Bay, and West Los Angeles PDG’s. The Pasadena PDG will be back soon.
- March 2019 – The kick-off of our online “How I Made It” series featuring successful mediators in various subject matter fields.
- May 18, 2019 – Annual SCMA Employment Mediation Institute, chaired by SCMA Member Samantha Blake and Board Member Mark Lemke.
- June 7 & 8, 2019 – 2nd Annual SCMA Family Mediation Institute, chaired by SCMA Board Member Terri Breer.
- August 1, 2019 –Summer Soiree & Networking Event, chaired by SCMA Members Doug Spoors and Marvin Whistler.
- November 1 & 2, 2019 – SCMA 31st Annual Mediation Conference, chaired by SCMA President-Elect Andy Shelby, and featuring Professor Leonard Riskin as our keynote speaker and Cloke-Millen Award winner. Returning as our Advanced Track provider will be the American Arbitration Association.
- We also look forward to working with our sister organizations MC3 and Kids Managing Conflict on future programing and collaborations.
Additionally, we have several other webinars and programs in the works so be sure to follow us on LinkedIn, Facebook, and Twitter for regular updates.
Finally, I would like to thank Professor Stephanie Bell Blondell, Assistant Professor of Law and Associate Director of the Pepperdine Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution, for kicking-off our year with a great seminar on mediation ethics. Many thanks to Pepperdine for hosting this event, and to Richard Erhard, SCMA Board Member and Program Chair, for his leadership in planning the event, and Executive Director Anne Sawyer for her logistics planning and support.
As we celebrate this season of love, it is my sincere wish that each of you are doing work that you love. If that is not the case, I encourage you to take time to reflect on what you are doing to discover ways to love it more.
Thank you for the opportunity to serve as your SCMA President.
Yours in service,
Latest posts by Angela Reddock-Wright (see all)
- June 2019 President’s Message from Angela J. Reddock-Wright, Esq. - June 5, 2019
- April 2019 President’s Message from Angela J. Reddock-Wright, Esq. - April 17, 2019
- March 2019 President’s Message from Angela J. Reddock-Wright, Esq. - March 13, 2019