Dear SCMA Colleagues:
The fall season is here and brings with it many possibilities and opportunities to end the year on a high note! This has been a great year of growth and new opportunities for SCMA, shaped in large part by your responses to the Membership Survey we conducted earlier this year. We have reviewed and processed the survey results and are happy to share a summary of the results with you. View survey results below!
As a result of your responses to the survey, we have developed a 4-point action plan that includes:
- In 2020, develop a new website (with an enhanced backend administrative infrastructure) that is easier to navigate and provides more value to our members;
- Deliver more programming online and via webinars;
- Continue to develop programs that assist members in developing their skills, build their practices, and that provide networking opportunities; and
- Grow and enhance member benefits.
We also considered your survey responses in planning our 31st Annual Mediation Conference on November 1-2, 2019 at the L.A. Grand Hotel in downtown Los Angeles. This year’s conference and theme is all about YOU – “The Twenty-First Century Mediator: Take Your Practice to the Next Level!”
Here are just a few reasons you should plan to attend the conference:
- To gain the latest insights, tools, and skills for developing and growing your mediation practice from some of the top leaders and professionals in the field.
- Our sister organization the Mediator Certification Consortium of California (MC3) will educate attendees on the application process and the specific requirements attendees will need to get certified when MC3 launches later this Fall. View workshop here. SCMA congratulates MC3 on the launch of its new website, where you can obtain more information on certification.
- The opportunity to hear from two of the top thought leaders and influencers in the mediation field – Professor Carrie Menkel-Meadow, the 2019 L. Randolph Lowry Award Recipient, and Professor Leonard Riskin, the creator of the Riskin Mediation Grid and the 2019 Cloke-Millen Award Recipient.
- Our Advanced Track, led by the American Arbitration Association (AAA), which will focus on the seven (7) mediator behaviors and techniques that parties, and advocates find both appealing and unappealing, effective and less effective, based on cutting-edge studies.
- Workshop presentations from the mediation and dispute resolution leaders from three leading universities – California State University, Dominguez Hills – Negotiations, Conflict Resolution & Peace Program; Pepperdine University School of Law – Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution; and the USC Gould School of Law – Judge Judith O. Hollinger Program in Alternative Dispute Resolution.
- Our sister organization Kids Managing Conflict (KMC) will present on peer mediation and restorative justice in our K-12 schools, along with their annual silent auction and wine pull fundraiser. View Workshop Here.
- Available MCLE Credits.
- Networking with other mediation and dispute resolution professionals.
- Preparing to take your mediation practice to the next level in 2020!
- A great location, with great food and convenient parking.
If you have not had a chance to register for the conference, be sure to take advantage of our Early Bird rates which will end on October 15, 2019!
Become a sponsor, exhibitor, or provide swag for the conference bags!!
In closing, I would like to thank longtime SCMA friend and colleague Lee Jay Berman for being the featured speaker for our SCMA “How I Made It” webinar on September 13, 2019. Lee Jay provided excellent insights for developing and growing our mediation practices. Many thanks to SCMA Board Member Richard Erhard for moderating the webinar, and to SCMA Member and former Executive Director Anne Sawyer for facilitating the technology for the webinar. To purchase and view the webinar, along with past SCMA “How I Made It” and other webinars, click here.
Thank you for the opportunity to serve as your SCMA President.
Yours in service,
Angela Reddock-Wright, Esq.
SCMA President 2019
Membership Survey Results
Latest posts by Angela Reddock-Wright (see all)
- December 2019 President’s Message from Angela J. Reddock-Wright, Esq. - December 12, 2019
- RECAP: SCMA’s 2019 31st Annual Fall Conference - December 12, 2019
- October 2019 President’s Message from Angela J. Reddock-Wright, Esq. - October 7, 2019